SELF-PAY or INSURANCE
You may choose to pay privately (self-pay) or you may go through your insurance company.
I currently accept most major insurance plans. If you choose to use your insurance, you will need to verify that I am in-network with your plan. If I am out of network with your insurance plan, I can provide you with invoices to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement.
Advantages and Benefits of Self-pay
- If you self-pay, there is no need for sharing of diagnosis information. To have your therapy covered by your health insurer, however, not only must you be diagnosed with a mental health “disorder”, but in order to file a claim with the insurance company, we must disclose your mental health “disorder” diagnosis as part of the claim. This diagnosis can then stay in your medical record forever.
- If you self-pay, you determine if, when, and what information regarding your mental health treatment is disclosed to third parties. When using your insurance, the insurance company can determine if and what information is disclosed. Some insurance companies require therapists to provide detailed information about why you are in therapy and how you are progressing in order to authorize additional sessions. (The only exception to the above is if someone is determined to be a danger to self or others, or if there is suspected child or elder abuse. In these situations, the law requires that authorities be informed, whether self-pay or insurance).
- If you self-pay, you and your therapist – together – can determine your treatment plan and length of treatment. When using your insurance, the insurance company has a say in the number of sessions you may have, how often you may see your therapist, and how long you may continue in therapy.
- If you self-pay, discounted session packages are available (upon request).
Check your insurance coverage
If you choose to use your insurance, you will need to call your insurance company and clarify whether you have mental health coverage. You will need the answers to the following questions:
- Do you have a deductible?
- What is the coverage amount or copay per therapy session?
- How many therapy sessions does your plan cover – is there a limit to the number of sessions?
- Is a referral required from your primary care physician?
- Is Telehealth covered?
Discounted Session Packages are available for Self-pay clients (upon request).
If you need to cancel an appointment for any reason, a minimum of 48 hours’ notice is required to avoid a $50.00 missed appointment/late cancellation fee.